Friday, July 4, 2008

It is not easy to get things done in India

Just read what I had to do for getting a duplicate certificate of my degree certificate issued from GJU, Hisar, Haryana. This will give you a feel of the difficulty one can face in getting even a simple thing like this done. I am an educated, english speaking, reasonably informed individual with a basic understanding of the system. I wonder how those without the above, especially women get their things done.I had misplaced my degree certificate. Called up GJU and was given two other nos on which to try. Finally I reached result section and they said that they need a draft of 100 rupees along with an affidavit stating the loss. The affidavit to be signed by 'First Class Magistrate'.So...go to the bank and get the draft done. But where to find a 'First Class Magistrate (FCM)?' I do a bit to social networking and am told that the SDM is FCM. So the person who prepared the tect matter for my affidavit for 50 bucks tells me to go to Nazafgarh BDO and get the affidavit signed. He charged me 50 bucks. He put the seal of notary public on it. On reaching SDM office at 10 I go from one window to another to find out where can I get the affidavit attested. Finally I am guided to the SDM's secretary (Madam) who sits in the room next to the SDM. Madam is yet to arrive and am told she'll be there by 12. So I talk to two other men standing behind those tables in that room and dealing with other applicants. One of them tell me that the stamp of notary is not required so get the affidavit redone. I walk up to the shants outsied the office and get the affidavit done for 40 rupees and 45 minutes and huge disgust. I walk up to the madam's office again this time to submit the affidavit. Then the man in command of things tells me that the SDM does not have the power of first class magistrate. Then he says no one in the campus has the power. So he tells me to go to Rohini, Tees Hazari etc. Then I try calling up the lawyer who guided me to this place. His cell is switched off. So I call up my husband in Singapore, who is headed for his exams. He gives a reference of a lawyer who sits in Patiala House. This is thanks to his school friend who was currently in Jehanabad, Bihar. Else he could have done the job himself.So now I drive from Nazafgarh to Uttam Nagar, park my vehicle, board a metro, get down at Pragati Maida, take an auto (Patiala House is not on metro feeder bus road) for 20 bucks, walk through the narrow chambers of lawyers giving a schezophrenic feel. But it was easy to locate this lawyer. He says he'll get the work done and will give affidavit by tomorrow. I am glad as I think this is fast. He then says I'll have to pay a commission amount or something. It will be 200-300 rupees. I am ok with it. Since I have already spent quite a lot. Next day is my office and I stay in Dwarka around 18 -20 kms from Patiala House. So when do I collect the affidavit. So I send my sister and she gets it. The affidavit is with me now. (There are many other things that I have not narrated here )Now that I have narrated this big story...there are certain questions that are baffling me:1. Why does the university need an affidavit of First Class Magistrate?2. What if I am unable to reach a First Class Magistrate?The university tells me that FCM is the last and final authority.3. Why not a notary public?4. Since mine was a distance programme, why do I need to call up Hisar every time. Why can't the university have office in New Delhi.5. Can there not be a single window for all such cases. Why call up one department only to be told to call up another.And so on and so forth.I can well imagine the plight of many like me and others who are not as resourceful. Especailly of those seeking legal help that may affect their life more seriously.

1 comment:

adrin said...

I would say after a struggle it will be easy.

Code is - Legal advice forum